Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sick on the first day of school

This is what the cake was SUPPOSED to look like:This is how it turned out: LOL!


Luckily, it was NOT my 6 year old (who is now a first grader!) who got sick but it was ME who got a sinus infection over the weekend and am still fighting it. That was NOT good timing since the first day of school is a BIG day full of new routines and schedules.
Somehow we got through it all (thanks to my DH taking off work) and I of course, was not too ill to take photos of her first day. She looks so grown up to me. She was SO ready to go though. I even had to follow her into her classroom to get a kiss (I know, it's pathetic but I obviously can't do that when she's in 7th grade so I'm gonna do it while I can!) I thought I would cry but I didn't. Mostly because she was so happy to be there that it made me happy more than sad.
I also promised my kiddos that I would make the beloved pencil cake (see recipe in previous post) which they were looking forward to all day. I didn't really feel like baking it since I just wanted to sleep all day but I really wanted to do something special so I just sucked it up and did it. It is made from a brownie mix and since my son is allergic to eggs I had to add applesauce. It made the cake a little TOO moist so this is my version of the pencil cake. Oh it makes me laugh so hard! I wish I could blame it on the fact that I was sick but my husband knows the truth. I don't do cakes. One time I ATTEMPTED a Nemo fish cake and my husband asked me if the kids had decorated it. No, hon, I did it.
It's the thought that counts, right?

5 comments:

Kristi said...

She is so beautiful!! She looks just like you Kelli!

Liz R. said...

holy cow! that second picture! i can totally see the young woman in her. she looks so grown up!

btw - great cake ; )

JT42 said...

she is really growing! and i'm thinking they enjoyed the cake no matter!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love it!. At least it was still a picture perfect day.

Clarke and Kamie said...

that big clip in her hair is so darn cute. Where did you find it?
She is so darling and grown up. Miko just picked those same shoes! Good old hannah montana.