Monday, August 18, 2008

What do you to make the First Day of School special?

School starts back up in one week! I will be the first to admit that I am SO ready for it! Of course, I am torn emotionally because I will miss them yet, I can't get a darn thing done and I think we could all use some space from each other, KWIM. I will be sad that my 6 year-old daughter will be in school full-time though. It seems almost worse than sending them off for Kindergarten. It means that she won't be eating lunch with me or playing with the baby when I need a break. Gosh, they grow so stinkin' fast!

Anyhoo, enough of my rambling. I know all you cute Moms have some great ideas so this slacker Mom needs some cute ideas to make it special. Please share!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

not sure what I will do - but when I was little, my mom would bake homemade bread and stew EVERY first day of school. I LOVED it. However, my boy thinks he's allergic to bread and doesn't like stew - soooooooooooo I need some ideas too. :)

Liz R. said...

donuts for breakfast ; ) not that my mom did that, but i think it sounds like a lovely idea.

Clarke and Kamie said...

When I was growing up, the day before the first day of school my mom would let us buy a new backpack of choice and then we would load all our new school supplies in it (with our names all over them!). Then we got a fathers blessing which I will always remember and always do with my own kids. Then we picked our "first day" outfit and hung it on the door (exciting for a girl who loves clothes!). The morning of the first day was a big feast with pancakes, eggs, TONS of breakfast with everyone together. Then we got a picture with our friends next to the bus. I have the same picture every year standing next to the bus.
Not super exciting but lots of memories!