Thursday, December 25, 2008

Thinking outside the self

I think it's easy to fall into a selfish trap. We get so involved in our own busy-ness that we forget what really brings J.O.Y. That is: putting Jesus first, Others second and You last. This fall, I sort of forgot that in my struggle to just survive everyday life. It was not until another photographer friend, Kristen Kalp, started www.givingisawesome.com that I decided to think outside the self. It has had a profound effect on me. It was so humbling to hear others' stories and struggles and realize all of the blessings that I enjoyeveryday. Service is so rewarding because you forget your own troubles and find happiness in helping. It has a ripple affect too.

Kristen Kalp, the founder of www.givingisawesome.com encouraged portrait photographers everywhere to help a family in need this Christmas season. This challenge from ONE PERSON has had incredible results all over the world. Approximately 486 photographers contributed over $500,000 in custom portraits.

Her example showed me that one person really CAN make a difference. She is one of the reasons that I started the post on Caden's Cause. I just really wanted to help. We were able to give Caden's family $2,057 in donations from over 60 photographers and blog readers. It was truly a Christmas miracle! Thank you to all who donated!

Anyways, I had a hard time narrowing it down to just one nominee for the portrait give-away so I chose two. Their stories touched my life and I hope to be able to touch theirs. Each family will receive $500 in portraits from France Photography.

Here are their stories:

NOMINEE #1
This woman is a CNA at the hospital with me. She has quite a story and yet is someone who never complains. She is a single mom of 2 kids. Actually she has three kids, but her youngest daughter died at the age of two from Leukemia. After spending tremendous amounts of time at the hospital with her daughter, she decided that she wanted to become a CNA. I can't imagine after going through something like that that you'd ever want to even step foot into a hospital, but she did and she is absolutely amazing with the kids and their families. She also has a daughter, Brittany, who is 22, and a son Nicholas, who is 15. Her daugher Brittany goes to WNC and will be the first one from their family to go to college. Her son Nicholas is deaf and also has ADHD. Her husband, Dan, died about 4 years ago leaving her a single mom. She is an amazing mother to her children. She works so hard just to get by. She works days, she works nights, she is always willing to help co-workers out whenever they ask. She works 48 hours a week and even after the over-time and extra hours there is never enough left over for extras. I know she would absolutely love to have some amazing pictures of her family. They never take pictures! She always tells me that when she dies, her kids will have like 2 pictures of her and they will be from when she was 15!

NOMINEE #2
I would like to nominate my sister. She is a momma to two beautiful little ones. Katie and Colton. Katie's daddy just up and left one day so she came home to live with my mom(she was in Utah)and she got back on her feet a little. She met another man who is the daddy of Colton. Colton was born very prematurely at 29 weeks I believe. He almost didn't make it. He had a brain bleed and now has a permanent shunt in his brain. In the meantime my sister had to move out from my moms house and find her own place. They struggle daily with bills from medical bills, and medical needs, and just getting by. They barely have money for general necessities. So while they are trying to get on their feet our mom sadly, and suddenly passes away( this May). Just another blow to take our family down. I know in my heart, that winning this would mean the world to her. She is so beaten down with all the awful things that have happened that I would love for her to have this and know that people still do care and life can be great sometimes!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

2 comments:

JT42 said...

Kelli, thanks for doing this...these stories brought tears to my eyes-it's great to know there are people out there that have kindness in their hearts (especially with the bad economy). Merry Christmas! I can't wait to see pictures of these beautiful families!!

Kristen said...

Yay! I'm so hugely thrilled to have made some holidays a little brighter. Much love to you, Kelli, and to Caden's family, too!